Sandover Floors recommends you use the following tips to maintain your hardwood floors:
- Don’t Damp Mop – Water and wood floors don’t mix! Use only manufacturer’s recommended cleaning products on your hardwood floor.
- Vacuum Regularly – Small stones, mud and gritty dirt tracked in from outside can play havoc on the wood floors finish. To help combat this, use long bristle welcome mats placed at all outside entrances for people to wipe their feet on before entering onto the floors. Also, vacuum using a soft bristle brush.
- Use The Proper Chair Glides – Narrow wheels and sharp wooden or metal furniture legs can scratch and dent hardwood flooring, which can quickly turn a newly refinished floor into an old worn floor. Any furniture that rests directly on top of a hardwood floor should have felt protectors, or furniture coasters under all its feet. For extremely heavy objects such as a piano, use rubber cups.
- Don’t Use Oil Soaps – There are many over the counter oil based soaps that can damage or dull the finish of your hardwood floor. The best suggestion is to only use the manufacturer’s recommended cleaning products on your hardwood flooring.
- Never Wax A Urethane Floor – If you have a polyurethane finish on your hardwood floors you should never apply a wax. The wax may leave a sticky film on your floor, which will attract and hold dirt. Always use the manufacturer’s recommended polishes and cleaners.